64% of working Americans leave their jobs because they don’t feel appreciated. How does that statistic sit with you? Pretty gut-wrenching. In 2020, take the time to say thank you to your employees. We even have our favorite gratitude ideas for you. Feeling appreciated matters.
- Once a quarter find a goofy day to celebrate. There are so many fun holidays like Star Wars Day to celebrate at the office. For Star Wars Day, give employees Star Wars jellybeans, a Star Wars Pez dispenser and a Fandango gift card. Top it with words of appreciation. Smiles will be plentiful.
Make a Friend Day—February 11
Random Act of Kindness Day—February 17
Pretzel Day—April 26
Star Wars Day—May 4
Chocolate Chip Day—May 15
Hamburger Day—May 28
French Fry Day-July 13
Ice Cream Day—July 21
Just Because Day—August 27
Swap Ideas Day—September 10
Guacamole Day—September 16
Beer Lover’s Day-Sept 7
National Cheeseburger Day-Sept 18th
Do Something Nice Day—October 5th
Sandwich Day—November 3rd
2. Celebrate Employee Appreciation Day. Friday, March 6th is this year’s Employee Appreciation Day. One of my favorite things to do on this day is to shut down the office at noon on this day (it is a Friday) and give everyone a $10 gift card to Fandango for a movie. Free time to do what they want is always appreciated.
3. #ThankfulThursday. Every Thursday take 30 minutes first thing in the morning to email or write a personal note to someone on your team. Let them know why you are thankful for them. Need to be inspired on what to say? Check out this great blog post by Brandon Gaille. Don’t forget to send a little gift card to Chipotle, Panera or Jamba Juice. It’s the cherry on top of the sundae.
4. Recognize their Birthday. Who doesn’t like to be thought of on their birthday? Go out of your way to make it a memorable day. Decorate their desk. Bring in breakfast for the team. Surprise them with a gift card for lunch. And most important, send a heartfelt message wishing them a great day and why they matter.
5. Leave a gift card in the cantina. Randomly leave a $5 coffee gift card or Jamba Juice. Put a post-it note on it saying thanks for giving us your all. It is sure to put a smile on someone’s face and feel appreciated.
6. A gift card for you and you and you! At your next staff meeting, bring everyone a $10 Buffalo Wild Wings gift card for lunch. Surprise everyone and just say thank you to the team for all they do. Again, the most important thing is to tell them why you appreciate them. Make it heartfelt so they understand the impact they really make on the business.