Teacher Appreciation Week is May 3-7, 2021, and National Teacher Day is May 4th! Need the ins and outs of the best gift cards and how to make them extra special, the answer key is below.
However, finding the right teacher gift isn’t always easy. Too many gifts for teachers end up pushed to the back of a closet or cabinet and forgotten. Though appreciated, it’s best to gift things that teachers actually want. When in doubt, opt for a gift card. Gift cards are great because they’re easy to purchase last-minute, and you can personalize them to the specific teacher in your life. That being said, not all gift cards are created equal. Which cards are the most loved by teachers?
Buying gift cards for teachers has never been easier. Gone are the days of last-minute trips to the store to find whatever gift cards they have left. Instead, print, email, or text your gift card directly from your computer with BuyGiftCards. Ready to give a gift they’ll love? Here’s the full guide to the gift cards every teacher wants.
Are Gift Cards Appropriate for Teachers?
First, you might wonder if gift cards are an appropriate gift for teachers. In short, of course! While handmade trinkets and goodies are always welcome and appreciated, they might not be as useful as they look. Every teacher has more than his or her fair share of coffee mugs, tea, office supplies, and candles.
Because teachers are so used to these other gifts, a gift card is a breath of fresh air. Not only do they let the teacher purchase exactly what they want, but it gives them a chance to treat themselves. Gift cards are a fun way to encourage self-care and doing something special.
Not only are gift cards appropriate, but they’re the top requested gift for teachers. In other words, you can’t go wrong with a gift card!
What Gift Cards Are Best for Teachers?
If you’ve decided a gift card is right for your teacher's gift, make sure you put thought into the one you choose. Consider the places the teacher in your life is likely to go or shop.
If they’re always bringing coffee, a coffee gift card is a sure bet. Similarly, if they like to have fun on the weekends, treat them to a fun gift card they can use at a restaurant or shopping spot. A bit of thinking goes a long way, but these gift cards below are the best for all teachers.
Restaurant Gift Cards
For the teachers who already have everything, treat them to an experience. Whether they dine out at a local favorite or enjoy a special treat, these are gifts that they’re sure to love. Here are our favorite restaurant gift cards!
- Chipotle: A fast-casual favorite, Chipotle is great for a quick lunch on the go or weekday takeout.
- Panera: You can’t go wrong with soups, salads, and baked goods! Even if they’re on the go, they can stop in for free bread and coffee.
- Darden Restaurants: This versatile gift card can be used at Olive Garden, Longhorn Steakhouse, Cheddar’s, Yard House, Bahama Breeze, and Seasons 32.
- Bloomin Brands: From steak, seafood to classic Italian, Bloomin’ Brands restaurants satisfy every craving. This card can be redeemed at Outback Steakhouse, Carrabba's Italian Grill, Roy's, Bonefish Grill and Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar. It’s their choice.
- Coffee: Teachers and caffeine go hand-in-hand. A gift card to Coffee Bean, Starbucks, Krispy Kreme, or Peet’s Coffee is sure to be a hit.
- Cheesecake Factory: Treat your teacher to an upscale, fun night out at the Cheesecake Factory (or they can snag a few slices of this famous cheesecake to-go).
- Delivery: Lastly, a gift card to Uber Eats, Grubhub, or DoorDash lets them choose their favorite local takeout.
Retail Gift Cards
Choosing a thoughtful retail gift card is also another way to show the teacher in your life that you appreciate them. However, be mindful of the types of stores they likely shop at and the things they buy for themselves. Here are some popular gift card options:
- Target: It’s true that everyone loves Target, so it’s hard to go wrong with this one.
- TJMaxx: For anyone who loves to shop, TJMaxx is truly a treasure trove of finds.
- Kohl’s: Kohl’s is great for teachers because they have a large selection of professional clothes that are perfect for work.
- Gap: If your teacher always looks their best, a Gap gift card ensures they find the latest trends from Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, and more.
- Amazon: Just about everyone loves to shop from Amazon, so this is a convenient choice that’s guaranteed to impress.
- Barnes & Noble: Is your teacher a reader? Barnes % Noble is the best way to give them the bestseller of their choice.
- Staples: Lastly, a gift card to a crafting store like Staples gives them a way to get creative.
Last but not least, a BuyGiftCards card is the ultimate versatile gift. If you’re not sure which of the above gift card suggestions for teachers is the right fit, choose a BGC Card.
Available in any denomination of 5, this is a gift card your recipient can easily exchange for any of the cards on the BuyGiftCards website. From retail stores to online gaming, they can choose exactly what they want without the hassle.
What Is an Appropriate Gift Card Amount for a Teacher?
There is no set-in-stone amount that you need to give when choosing a gift card for a teacher. The amount you choose should be based on your budget and what you feel comfortable with. In general, most teacher gift cards are between $10 and $30.
Consider the type of gift card you choose and the average price at that place. For example, if you choose a coffee gift card, $10 is enough to get 2 coffees. On the other hand, if you choose a retailer, make sure they have enough to actually purchase something they might want.
If you take the traditional route to find a gift card in-store, you might not have many options when it comes to choosing the gift card amount. This is why buying your card online through BuyGiftCards is so useful. It’s easy to select any of our gift cards in any denomination of 5.
eGift Cards for Teachers
Let’s face it—we lead busy lives. You don’t always have the time to rush out, browse stores, and find the right physical gift cards. Luckily, you don’t have to. It’s never been easier to email gift cards right from your computer or smartphone.
Can I email gift cards?
In short, yes, you can email or even text gift cards for teachers. It’s as simple as finding the gift card you like and selecting email at checkout.
An emailed or texted gift card is known as a virtual gift card. This is an easy alternative to a traditional printed gift card. Not only can your recipient access their gift card instantly, but you can send gifts at the last-minute without worry.
What brands can I email?
With BuyGiftCards, you can create an egift card from any gift card on our platform. From restaurants to retailers, all of our gift cards can be emailed to your recipient in just a few clicks.
How do you send a virtual gift card? As soon as you complete the checkout process, click “Send to a Friend.” Then, enter your recipient’s email address to send it right to their inbox. It’s a good idea to let them know to keep an eye out for it.
Printable Gift Cards for Teachers
No time to stop at the store but you still want to gift something physical and special? No worries, it’s easy to print any gift card of your choice right at home, and you can easily add an artist-made teacher greeting to add a personal touch.
How do you print your gift card? After you’ve purchased your gift card and completed the information about you and the recipient, select “Print.” Then, you can choose an eGreeting, upload an image, and write a special message.
Make Your Gift Card More Thoughtful
Customization is what makes a gift card stand out. With easy-to-add eGreetings, you can choose a design that works for your recipient and the occasion. These small touches take your gift card from ordinary to memorable.
Customize your printable
Better yet, add a personal touch by having your child color or fill out the card by hand. Once you print the creation from your computer, it’s easy to add special touches and make something that puts a smile on your teacher’s face.
Add pictures to your gift card
Another great way to personalize your teacher’s gift card is by adding pictures. When customizing your gift card eGreeting, you can easily upload your own photos for a special touch.
While you can just upload a photo of your child, you can also take it up a notch. One fun idea is to have your son or daughter hold a thank you note sign and take a photo to include with your gift card.
Add a video
Videos are even more special than photos since they give you an opportunity to say ‘thank you’ in person. If you send your gift card via email or text, attach a video with your message.
What should you film? It’s entirely up to you, but a great idea is to have your child say thank you and share what they like most about their teacher. They could also read a poem, sing a song, or share a special memory.
Write a heartfelt message
Lastly, no gift card is complete without the right message. There are so many ways to say ‘thank you’ to an amazing teacher. While you should write something from the heart, here are some fun message ideas specifically for teachers:
- You’re what a teacher is supposed to be — thanks for the motivation every day!
- Thank you for helping James through the school year. He’s grown so much, and it’s all thanks to you!
- I wanted to let you know how helpful you’ve been all year long. Thanks for everything you do!
- Sally grew so much, and she looks forward to your class every day. Thank you!
- Your patience, kindness, and care make you an amazing teacher. I can’t thank you enough!
Gifts for Teachers That They Really Want
If you’re searching for the best gift for the best teachers, look no further than this list above. Teachers like the gift of choice, so gift cards are always the best idea so they can find exactly what they’re looking for.
Whether you choose a restaurant gift card or treat them to coffee, personalize your gift card to make it extra special. From custom images to messages from the heart, this is a gift the teacher in your life is sure to appreciate.